What’s the weather like at RDS?
The summer (in Costa Rica – when it’s winter in the northern hemisphere) is the most magical time of the year. In the midst of the Costa Rican dry season you get to enjoy gorgeous bright sunny days… day after day!
Temperatures range in the 70s-80s during the day, and comfortable 60s at night. Of course outdoor work happens rain or shine but in the dry season it’s pretty much only shine!
How do we get to RDS?
RDS is just a 2 hour drive from Costa Rica’s international airport in San Jose (SJO). There are countless airlines and attractive flight options to get here – make sure to book early! From the airport, there are many good options depending on your particular preference.
What does a sample day look like?
Check out the internship schedule page for more info on the daily and weekly schedule.
What to bring?
In addition to the guidelines we’ve provided on the what to bring page here are a few items specific to the internship program:
- Notepads, pencils, etc
- Alarm clock
- Your favorite gardening tool if you have one
- Rain gear just in case (rubber boots are best for exploring in the jungle)
- Meaningful books you’ve been wanting to read for a while
What’s the food like?
We make and serve nutritious, delicious, and local food. Plenty of it! Everything’s hand made and RDS is free of conventional off-the-shelf products most have come to call “food”. Here are a few examples:
- We use coconut oil for cooking. Our coconut oil is extracted from local coconuts through a traditional fermenting process which basically involves sun drying and natural, hand-made oil separation.
- Our raw milk comes every morning from cows that are free to pasture a few hundred meters from the kitchen.
- Our eggs are from free chickens pasturing all day.
- Absolutely everything on our farm is free of commercial (“organic” or “conventional”) fertilizers, pesticides, soil supplements, and whatever else you can find in stores. You’ve never tasted such delicious fruits!
The list goes on.
What are the accommodations like?
Interns stay at one of RDS’s most stunning natural building structures. Nested amongst tall trees in one of the most idyllic spots around, we named it “The Nest”. Rooms look out to the forest and are clean and quiet. And there’s plenty of wildlife all around.
What about payment?
The cost of the program is $2610 (just about $29/day, or $870 a month) and includes absolutely everything on-site. Uncompromising nutritious meals, beautiful and comfortable lodging, tuition, etc.
RDS is a non-profit organization and your payment goes directly towards covering the costs of the program. Except for the satisfaction we get from our work and its positive impact we don’t make any profit whatsoever from the program. To keep the cash flow of the non-profit afloat, and to avoid last minute cancellations (which deny other applicants the opportunity to come) the following payment schedule is required (unless you make your full payment upon registering):
- 1st deposit: $500 at the time of registration
- 2nd deposit: $500 at the latest 1 month before the start of the internship.
- Remaining balance: The remaining balance is then $1610 which you can pay before arriving by forwarding your payment via Paypal to email@example.com, or pay upon arrival in which case make sure to bring enough cash with you! We don’t accept checks on credit card payments on the premises and there are no ATMs nearby.
Don’t hesitate to contact us with any specific questions.