Here’s what a day may look like at the Natural Building and Integrative Farming internship:
Sample daily schedule
- 6:30am – Wake up. Grab a banana and a drink and head to your morning farm work.
- 8am – Breakfast! Usually some delicious combination of fruit, kefir, yogurt, coffee/tea, oatmeal…
- 8:30am – Natural building. Usually bright and sunny, mornings are dedicated to the natural building project of the program. Most of the time is spent in actual hands-on building with some days including classes and talks.
- Noon – Lunch! Delicious communal meal with plenty of options – all made in the farm’s beautiful kitchen with local ingredients.
- 1pm – Integrative farming. Work in the fields, gardens, orchards, or care for the animals. Depending on the current ongoing projects.
- 3:30pm – Break. Take a shower, hang out with your fellow interns, read in a hammock, or just relax.
- 4:30pm – Evening chore. Whether it’s daily care for the animals or communal meal making, these experiences leave life-long memories.
- 6pm – Dinner! We make and serve nutritious, delicious, and local food. Plenty of it!
- 8pm – Optional. On some nights there may be organized lectures, talks and discussions
Sample weekly schedule
- Monday through Friday – as outlined above.
- Saturday – personal project day (morning). Wake up later (at 8am) to work on a personal project. Pretty much whatever interns want as long as the project is related in some way to life at RDS. Could be a personal garden, a research project or an experiment. The afternoon is free.
- Sunday – day off. Explore the nature around and swim in the waterfalls at RDS while watching monkeys, toucans, scarlet macaws, and countless other wild animals. Walk 20 minutes to the town of Mastatal. Or just hang in a hammock all day.