Here’s what a day may look like at the Natural Building and Integrative Farming internship:
Sample daily schedule
- 6:30am – Wake up. Grab a banana and a drink and head to your morning farm work.
- 8am – Breakfast! Usually some delicious combination of fruit, kefir, yogurt, coffee/tea, oatmeal…
- 8:30am – Natural building. Mornings are dedicated to the natural building project of the program. Most of the time is spent in actual hands-on building with some days including theory classes.
- Noon – Lunch! Delicious communal meal with plenty of options – all made in the farm’s beautiful kitchen with local ingredients.
- 1pm – Integrative farming. Work in the fields, gardens, orchards, or care for the animals. Depending on the current ongoing projects.
- 3:30pm – Break. Take a shower, hang out with your fellow interns, read in a hammock, or just relax.
- 4:30pm – Evening chore. Whether it’s daily care for the animals or communal meal making, these experiences leave life-long memories.
- 5:30pm – Dinner! We make and serve nutritious, delicious, and local food. Plenty of it!
- 7pm – Talks. Two nights a week there are organized lectures, classes, talks and discussions.
This is just a sample schedule! Life at RDS is full of unpredictability. We may decide to switch things around depending on what we’re working on exactly at a given time or if a project demands special attention.
Sample weekly schedule
- Monday through Friday – as outlined above.
- Saturday – personal project day (morning). Wake up a little later than usual to work on a personal project that’s related in some way to life at RDS. Could be a personal garden, a research project or an experiment. The afternoon is free.
- Sunday – day off. Explore the nature around and swim in the waterfalls at RDS while watching monkeys, toucans, scarlet macaws, and countless other wild animals. Walk 20 minutes to the town of Mastatal. Or just hang in a hammock all day.
And here’s the 3-month schedule for the upcoming winter 2014 session:
- January 30 – February 2: Orientations, tours, and getting introduced to RDS.
- February 3 – March 7: First session.
- March 8 – March 16: Mid-program break. You can use it to plan a multiple-day trip to the
nearby beaches or to any other destination you want to explore in amazing Costa Rica.
- March 17 – April 16: Second session.
- April 17 – April 19: Concluding the program.
- April 20 – April 25: Flexible closing fun.